|Developer(s)|| Monolith Productions (PC)|
Day 1 Studios (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
|Distributor(s)|| CD Projekt|
|Engine||Lithtech: Jupiter EX|
|Platform(s)||Linux, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows|
|Release date|| Windows|
October 17, 2005
October 31, 2006
April 20, 2007
|Genre(s)||First-person shooters, Horror|
|Rating(s)|| ESRB: M (Mature)|
OFLC (AU): MA15+
|System requirements||Pentium 4 1.7GHz, 512 MiB RAM, 3GiB HD space, 64 MiB GeForce 4 Ti or Radeon 9000 more...|
|Input methods|| Keyboard & Mouse|
Gamepad, also compatible with the FPS Vest.
F.E.A.R, First Encounter Assault Recon is a first-person shooter developed by Monolith Productions and published by Vivendi. Timegate Studios has released two expansion packs, F.E.A.R Extraction Point in October 2006, and F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate which is a standalone expansion in November 2007. F.E.A.R simulates combat from a first-person perspective. The protagonist's body is fully present, allowing the player to see his or her character's torso and feet while looking down. Within scripted sequences, when rising from a lying position or fast-roping from a helicopter for example, or climbing ladders, the hands and legs of the protagonist can be seen performing the relevant actions. A prominent gameplay element is "reflex time," which slows down the game world while allowing the player to aim and react at normal speeds. This effect is used to simulate the character's superhuman reflexes. Reflex time is represented by stylized visual effects, such as bullets in flight that cause air distortion or interact with the game's particle effects.
The latest version is 1.08 (October 21, 2006). The patch can be downloaded for free on sierra.com.
Minimum system requirements
- Windows 2000/XP with latest service packs installed
- Pentium 4 1.7 GHz or equivalent
- 1GiB of RAM
- 128 MiB DirectX 9.0 Compliant Video Card with hardware T&L and pixel shader support
- 3.0 GiB free hard drive space for installation, + additional hard drive space for a Windows swap file and saved game files
- 16-bit DirectX 9.0c compliant sound card with support for EAX 2.0
- Mouse and keyboard
Recommended system specifications
- CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent
- RAM: 2 GiB
- Video memory: 256 MiB
- Hard drive space: 5 GiB
- Broadband connection for multiplayer games.
Officially supported GPUs
- NVIDIA: GeForce 4Ti, GeForce FX 5900, FX 5900 Ultra, 6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra
- ATI: Radeon 9600, 9600 Pro, 9600 XT, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro, x700 XT, x800 XT, x850 XT
- What's the difference between F.E.A.R multiplayer, extraction point multiplayer, Combat and Perseus Mandat ?
Well they are all the same, for example if you have F.E.A.R you don't need to download F.E.A.R Combat.
Around the game
F.E.A.R. is compatible with the FPS Vest.
The game's story revolves around a supernatural phenomenon, which F.E.A.R. a fictional special forces team is called to contain. The player assumes the role of F.E.A.R.'s Point Man, who possesses superhuman reflexes and combats an army of cloned soldiers, and at the same time uncovers the secrets of a paranormal menace in the form of a little girl.
- Solo : Playing the campain of the game. You'll embody the scout of the F.E.A.R team.
- Multiplayer :
- -Deathmatch (DM): Conventional free for all.
- -Team deathmatch (TDM): Deathmatch - one team versus another.
- -Controle : The aim is to have the control on tree points as many times as possible.
- -Capture The Flag (CTF): The goal is to collect the other team's flag and bring it back to your base.
Keep in mind that vsync (vertical synchronization) and resolution can dramatically decrease the game performances. Just try to play in 640x480 and you'll feel a big difference.
To set a custom resolution you'll have to modify the settings.cfg file which is by default in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR, well open the settings file and change lines "ScreenWidth" "960" and "ScreenHeight" "600" by your desired values.
Tips & tricks
- Grenades : Don't throw a grenade if their is no enemy because you'll make useless noise. Throw grenades to kill or to make diversion, but don't forget that enemies will hear you.
- Noiseless : The best way to be invisible is to handle Double pistol AT-14 or to go unarmed. But don't run, enemies will hear you.
- Rush : The best weapon to make a rush is pistol AT-14 because it's light so you can run faster and the magazine is enough big for a rush. You won't have to reload for every kill or every double kill. Besides it have a good accuracy.
- Medical kits : You should use them when you're firing, you'll have more chance to survive this way.
During gameplay press the Chat key and enter the following codes:
|Ammo||Stocks player with ammunition|
|Guns||Stocks player with all weapons|
|armor||Gives player full armor|
|Health||Restocks player's health|
|gear||Increased health and boosted reflexes (as if picking up a health booster and reflex booster each time you enter it)|
|kfa||All weapons + full ammo, armor & health|
|tears||All weapons + infinite ammo (still need to reload, but otherwise infinite)|
Note that these cheat codes don't work in multiplayer.
Most common problems
- If your visor doesn't move when you move your mouse slightly, here is the solution:
Go to Control panel => mouse => pointer options then disable "enhance pointer precision" and apply. Then, go back in your mouse control panel and enable "enhance pointer precision". Now, you can launch F.E.A.R.
Aimed to bring cooperation to F.E.A.R, this mode will allow you to play against AI enemies in cooperation. This mode also features new playable character models like Alice, Jin or the big fat computer scientist... And it's fully compatible with F.E.A.R Combat. Note that you're not playing the solo campaign in cooperation but a new campaign.
|F.E.A.R Trailer video||F.E.A.R Gameplay video|